Friday, September 19, 2014

Hoof nipping...

One thing about having pet steers I never considered is that they might need their hooves trimmed.  My boys don't spend half their day walking 5 - 10 miles looking for something to graze on so their "toes" tend to get long.  Every now and then, one of them will end up chipping or breaking off a chunk of hoof.  As they grow longer they tend to cross which can screw up their legs if left unattended.  Trying to set up an appointment with the vet that specializes is this kind of stuff so I can get a better idea of what their needs might be.  While I wait for that to happen, I decided to buy some hoof nippers and give it a whirl with Ben.  Waited till this afternoon while they were both blissed out napping and chewing their cud.  Did a little work on Ben's back feet and he didn't mind at all. A couple more sessions and he will be done.  Bud on the other hand who doesn't allow me to measure his horns - really doesn't want me to mess with his feet.  88,100,72,0,B

4 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

You may want to wait for the Vet for Bud.

just.Bob said...

I had both my knees replaced a couple years back, now I can't reach my toes. A set of those hoof nippers might be useful.

rondeb said...

Might need to get a tranquilizer for Bud.

Rev.jimmyleebob said...

Bud needs a red bow tie....